Academic editing is about more than commas and citations.
It’s about helping authors create powerful scholarship that shapes a better world—and we built a course to let you do just that.
Introduction to Professional Academic Editing is a self-paced course for those who want to learn the concrete skills, professional networks, and scholarly training to build an academic editing career. Focused on the humanities, social sciences, and interdisciplines, this course teaches you how to help academic authors write and publish fantastic work.
Whether you’re an academic wanting to transition to an editorial career, a freelance editor seeking more academic clients, or an in-house press editor keeping your skills sharp, this course can help you ensure your clients’ work shines.
With Intro to Professional Academic Editing you can:
- Confidently edit scholarly books and articles
- Build lasting relationships with clients and colleagues
- Start crafting your career as an academic editor
Topics covered include:
- What academic editing is and how is differs from editing other kinds of texts
- How the academic publishing industry and tenure system work and why they shape how academic authors write
- The differences between developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading and how to know which one your clients nee
- What makes a good academic book or article and how to help your clients write them
- Developmental editing bootcamp covering how to edit for argument, narrative arc, and engagement with scholarly sources
- Copyediting bootcamp covering style sheets, manuscript and file preparation, and how to address sentence structure, grammar, and the ever-changing scholarly citation systems
- Identifying the major scholarly presses and publishing lists in your clients’ fields and how to edit book proposals that help get your clients published
- How big recent shifts in higher education have changed the scholarly publishing landscape and how you can best help your clients navigate those changes
- Helping clients revise their dissertations into their first books
- Building and maintaining strong author-editor relationships, even in tricky moments
- Editing tools and software to maximize your time and energy
- Developing expertise in the major academic citation styles, and keeping up with their changes
- The professional editing events, associations, and networks you’ll need to build your career, as well as how to get the most out of editing conferences and trainings
- The scholarly events, associations, and networks you’ll need to build your career, as well as how to get the most out of scholarly conferences
When you enroll you get immediate access to:
– Video lessons (with transcripts) explaining key editing techniques, how to work with clients, and tools to save you time and energy when tackling manuscripts
– Activity workbooks to put your learning into practice right away
The course launches in January 2018.
Sign up here to be the first to hear when it opens for enrollment.
Meet your instructors
As professional academic editors ourselves, we have edited hundreds of books, journal articles, chapters, and digital projects in fields like gender and sexuality studies, disability studies, anthropology, and communication.
We created this course because we noticed a serious lack of training options for folks wanting careers in academic editing—a field that requires both professional editing training and an extensive understanding of academic publishing and knowledge production.
We’ve distilled our combined 15 years of professional academic editing experience and expertise into this course, to help you build your thriving academic editing career and get more great scholarship into the world.