Terms and Conditions
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done for the Client by Grey Editing.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer Grey Editing work; neither is Grey Editing under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- Grey Editing will provide service(s) as mutually agreed, confirmed in writing by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by Grey Editing, using her/his own equipment.
- Grey Editing’s relationship to Client is that of an independent contractor, and nothing in this agreement is intended to or should be construed to create a partnership, agency, joint venture, or employment relationship. Grey Editing will not be entitled under this agreement to any of the benefits that Client or Client’s institution may make available to employees, including but not limited to group health insurance, life insurance, profit-sharing, retirement benefits, paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, or workers’ compensation insurance. No part of Grey Editing’s compensation will be subject to withholding by Client for payment of any Social Security, federal, state, or other employee payroll taxes. Grey Editing will report compensation paid by Client by filing a Form 1099-MISC with the Internal Revenue Service as required by law.
- The Client will reimburse Grey Editing for agreed reasonable expenses over and above usual expenses incurred in the process of editorial work.
- The Client will pay Grey Editing a fee per hour OR per source word OR per printed page OR an agreed flat fee for the job, to be agreed upon in writing. Payment will be made in US dollars, and any currency conversion will be based upon the rate current on the date swhen the project deposit is paid.
- A nonrefundable deposit of 50% of the estimated total is required to hold calendar time and/or begin work and is deducted from the final invoice.
- The completed work will be delivered on or before the date agreed, for the agreed fee, which will be based on the description of the work required and the brief, both supplied by the Client.
- Should Client decide to terminate the project before its completion, we agree that Grey Editing will be paid in full for all work completed up to that point, and Grey Editing will return all materials, including the edited manuscript, to Client immediately.
- Once the manuscript has been submitted for editing, no portion of it may be exchanged for a new version without incurring additional fees to cover the cost of starting over. In that case, an extended deadline may also be necessary. Any addition work Client requests outside the scope of this agreement will also incur additional fees.
- If, on receipt of the item to be worked on or at an early stage, it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief, Grey Editing may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline.
- Similarly, if, during the term of Grey Editing’s work, additional tasks are requested by the Client, Grey Editing may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline. Should Client decide after the job is completed that Client would like the manuscript to undergo additional work, that work will be the subject of a separate agreement.
- If the project is lengthy, Grey Editing may invoice periodically for completed stages.
- Following payment of the invoice in full, content created by Grey Editing as part of the copy-editing/proofreading/project management process will become the copyright of the Client, unless otherwise agreed. Until Grey Editing receives full payment for editing your manuscript, Grey Editing retain copyright ownership of the work it has done on the manuscript. This means that no journal or publisher can legally publish your work if you have not paid for our editing services. When we receive full payment from you, we no longer have any copyright claims on your work.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors and business services providers (such as bookkeepers and accountants) without prior written permission.
- Grey Editing guarantees that any work subcontracted on behalf of the Client will be completed to the same standard, schedule, and budget and with the same conditions of confidentiality.
- If Grey Editing’s work is unsatisfactory, Grey Editing will rectify it in our own time and at our own expense. Please see our Refund Policy.
- Unless agreed otherwise at the outset, final invoices are payable upon delivery. Grey Editing will apply interest if payment is not made within 30 days, at an interest rate of 10 percent per month or partial month, including the month following the invoice date. No interest is due if payment is made by the fifteenth day.
- Either the Client or Grey Editing has the right to terminate a contract for services if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- If Grey Editing has made a substantial contribution to the copy-editing/proofreading/project management of the work, she/he will be entitled to receive one free copy of the work.
- Copyediting services include improving syntax, spelling, and punctuation, formatting citations according to the client’s preferred style as agreed in advance, and offering comments and queries where necessary.
- Grey Editing is not responsible for any changes made by the Client to the work after the editing process is complete.
- Unless otherwise agreed upon, Grey Editing may use the Client’s name in her/his promotional material.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and of the United States of America.
In order to contact me through this website, you must enter your name and your email address in the form provided. I do not use tracking cookies or invite third-party behavioral tracking. Your presence on my website is otherwise anonymous.
I do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information unless I provide you with advance notice. This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist me in operating my website, conducting my business, or providing editorial services to you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. I may also release your information when I believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property, or safety.
Thank you for your cooperation.
To hold time on Grey Editing’s calendar, a deposit of 50% of the estimated total fee is required. This deposit is nonrefundable.
If Grey Editing is unable to complete the requested services for reasons outside the client’s control, or in the case of irreparable defects or grave difficulties with the service, we will refund all payments in excess of the project deposit as quickly as possible via check, bank transfer, or credit card refund. Refunds may be requested up to one week after final delivery of services.
In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work during the proofreading/editing project, Grey Editing reserves the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less the booking fee). Because Grey Editing provides a non-tangible, irrevocable service, we do not issue refunds once editorial services are completed.
As a customer you are responsible for understanding this refund policy upon purchasing services at our website. However, we realize that exceptional circumstance can take place with regard to the character of the product or services we provide.
To request a refund or further information, please call us at 267-971-7654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of your request.